Wednesday, January 11, 2012

2009 Beringer Founders Estate Pinot Noir

The primary reason I picked this bottle up was because of its Beringer label.   I've never tried a Beringer wine so I thought I'd pick this 2009 Beringer Founders Estate Pinot Noir and give it a shot.  Pinot Noir is one of my favorites to sample as I think there are a wide variety on the market.  I tend to enjoy the ones which have been more on the sweeter side, however the overall depth can be very unique (the color can be very deceiving). 


First sniff -- hint of cherries, blackberries and some type of wood. The color is light red, as most pinot noir's often portray. First swirl -- yes, cherries were there; however I had a taste of vanilla too.   Second swirl--somewhat creamy, however the finish was a bit dull. Comparing some other Pinot Noir's this one is lacking a punch.  


I purchased this one at the Ebisu Gardens, Wine Market Store for Y2,100.  Maybe I was anticipating a bit more, but for that price I think it is not a great value.  I am going to give this one 2.5 stars.  A good bottle to bring to a party or have as table wine, but the price is what brings this rating down to 2.5 stars.    


Summary: Medium-body, Pinot Noir.  
Rating: 2.5 Stars
Purchase Cost: Y2,100 (Ebisu Gardens, Wine Market Store)

Other Japanese Retailers: Y1,995 (Rakuten website)
USA Retail Price: $8.99
Food: NA

1 comment:

  1. OK if you want a wine for a big party with people who may not care about wine. Other than that....eh...

    ReplyDelete