Tuesday, January 17, 2012

2008 Guy Saget Vouvray

A first review of a "Vouvray" on this blog-- I have been wanting to try this for quite some time.  This 2008 Guy Saget Vouvray was a decent wine.  Although nothing spectacular that hits it out of the ballpark; for the price and quality, I thought this was a good value.

Definitely aromas of apples, pears, and melons were present.  As the wine sits a bit, honey became more apparent. A completely dry wine, it is not.  Slightly sweet at taste, and well balanced; however the finish was slightly weak.  This one reminds me of a Sauvignon Blanc as it has some hints of citrus.  

Overall I am going to give this one 3.5 stars.  I purchased this one at the Wine Market Store in Ebisu Gardens.  A interesting find for me as the store clerk said they were out of all Vouvray's; however I managed to pick this one from their sale bin.  I paid Y1,500, where it was originally priced at Y1,890.

Summary: Medium-body, Chenin Blanc.  
Rating: 3.5 Stars
Purchase Cost: Y1,500 (Ebisu Gardens, Wine Market Store)
Other Japanese Retailers: Y1,680 (Rakuten website)
USA Retail Price: $9.95
Food:  Carnitas, and Mild Mexican soup

3 comments:

  1. My favorite wines are Chenin, but this one is pretty much the bottom rung. If you want to blow your mind (assuming its in good condition) get one of these:

    http://item.rakuten.co.jp/caves/1382425/

    Looks like one bottle left! Less than 30,000Yen is good for the '55.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow--I probably need to invest in a wine cellar first!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No need for a cellar if the store has a '55. Just buy it, drink now and post your findings! The store IS the cellar!!

    ReplyDelete