Monday, December 12, 2011

2009 Baron Philippe Rothschild Mouton Cadet Bordeaux

A Mouton Cadet Bordeaux which is about 55% Merlot, 30% Cabernet Sauvignon, 15% Cabernet Franc has a very deep, dark red color.  The first smell --cherries with a hint of Robitussin cough syrup.   My first swirl had some granulated sugar (so it tasted) which quickly disappeared that was followed by a bitter fruit.  Weird. (btw, I decided to eat some saltine crackers, followed by water to see if it was just an anomaly or not.)  Second sniff still has the cherry smell, but the alcohol smell is quite strong.  Second swirl is still weird.  I am still getting this sensation of granulated sugar in the wine.  The tannins seem quite strong (tastes like you're eating a bitter grape skin towards the end).  Yeah, this one is not flying with me. 


Overall, I am not impressed.  It's not absolutely terrible, but just didn't work for me. I would say this is a medium body Bordeaux.  Maybe it needs to open up more, or perhaps it's just not a good wine.  I am going to rate this 1.5 stars (first low rating on this blog).  


Summary: Not impressed.  Cherry smells, but the taste was bitter and not that interesting. 
Rating:   1.5 stars
Purchase Cost: Y1,270 (Costco)
Other Japanese Retailers: Y1,740 (Rakuten website)

USA Retail Price: $11.99
Food: NA

1 comment:

  1. Years ago this was a $5 bottle of crummy wine. Now it sounds like a $12 bottle of crummy wine. Yikes.

    ReplyDelete