Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Kim Crawford 2009 Marlborough Pinot Noir

Overall I am a big fan of Kim Crawford's Sauvignon Blanc wines (New Zealand).  Today I decided to try Kim Crawford 2009 Marlborough Pinot Noir -- a first for me.  


The smell reminds me of a sweet strawberry that still has some dirt on the leaves (earthy).  My first whirl/taste; first impact is good, but the flavor tapers off pretty quickly.  It's okay. My second whirl....  Yeah, not overly impressed. It has some berry flavors, but the berries are a bit sour.  It's one of those wines where you think it's a bit young, but even if you let it age overtime it's a wine that wont change a bit.  In other words, it is what it is.  Almost similar to the wine earlier this week (Napa Station), an okay table wine, but not one to bring to a dinner party to impress.  


Again, I purchased this at Costco and it was reasonable (comparing it to Rakuten it is a steal ~65% discount--I would never pay Y2,000).  I am going to give this wine 3 stars.


Summary: Okay Pinot Noir from New Zealand (classic Pinot Noir color -- light red).  Good initial taste, but it did not last to really impress.
Rating: 3 Stars
Purchase Cost: Y1,198 (Kawasaki Costco)
Other Japanese Retailers: Y1,980 (Rakuten Website-scroll down a bit)
USA Retail Price: Around $13.95
Food: I did not pair it with any food today

2 comments:

  1. Do you remember Josh Crawford? He was in my class.
    RD

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had this and liked it. The Costco price is quite a bit cheaper than I can get in Manila.
    SLW

    ReplyDelete