Wednesday, November 30, 2011

2009 Robert Mondavi Chardonnay Private Selection

From Central Coast (California) this Robert Mondavi Chardonnay  was good.  I bought two bottles of this one and I actually enjoyed the first one more than the second one, which I opened tonight. Comparing the two, the first one had a rich buttery flavor with a strong almond finish (I believe is a Chardonnay characteristic).


Tonight it was quite different.  The initial aroma reminded me of pineapples; however the taste was not as buttery, nor did it have a strong almond finish like the previous bottle (a bit of lemon/citrus flavor tonight).  I decided to let this one open for about 45 minutes to see if it changed at all and the nutty/almond flavor did come out a bit more, but the acidy was still quite strong.  Overall, it is still a decent bottle of wine. 


I am going to rate tonight's bottle 2.5 stars; however had it been the flavor and texture like the first bottle I think I would give it 3 stars.  Costco is the place to buy this one as Rakuten is selling for Y2,200 (huge mark up)! 


Summary: Good Chardonnay. Please read the review above as I had two samples of this wine.  I enjoyed the first bottle better.
Rating:  2.5 Stars (Second Tasting)
Purchase Cost: Y1,050 (Costco)
Other Japanese Retailers: Y2,205 (Rakuten website) 
USA Retail Price: $11.00
Food: Cream pasta




2 comments:

  1. Well, butter and almonds reflect the barrel (or wood chips as the case may be) more than the grape. Sometimes I like the buttery chardonnays, but they are a bit tough with food. The prices at other Japanese retailers seem nuts.
    Keep it coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I opened another bottle of this Chardonnay today, served at room temperature (23 degrees C). I have to say that it was better than the last time I tried it -- so I guess if you are going to serve this one, 20-25 degrees C would be perfect.

    ReplyDelete