Tuesday, March 13, 2012

2010 Villa Maria Dry Riesling Marborough

I am a big fan of Villa Maria's Sauvignon Blanc wine so I decided to pick up their 'Dry Riesling.'  I used about a 1/4 of the wine for cooking today (Cream Chicken dish) and the rest for imbibing. 

At the nose, there's a slight hint of apricots, pears, apples and grass.  I think this is fairly typical for Chardonnay's; so I was a bit surprised given that it was a Riesling.  The first whirl of the 2010 Villa Maria Dry Riesling -- indeed, quite dry as the label suggests.  Interesting--  Had you blindfolded me I would have to say that this was a Sauvignon Blanc.  Nice balance of grapefruit, nuts, and pears. 

I'm going to give this one 3.5 stars.  A very descent, dry Riesling.  If you're looking for something on the sweeter side, this is definitely not it.  I purchased this one at Kinokuniya for Y1,680.  I did some googling and found one at Rakuten for Y1,239.  Maybe it's time to venture out a bit and start buying from online stores.

Summary: Very dry, reminds me of their Sauvignon Blanc.  Good value, but cheaper sources out there...
Rating: 3.5 Stars
Purchase Cost: Y1,680 (Kinokuniya International)
Other Japanese Retailers: Y1,239 (Rakuten website)
USA Retail Price: $12.95

Food:  Cream Chicken with white rice

2 comments:

  1. I should have mentioned this, but this wine is great for using in recipes/cooking, etc. Dinner came out great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would be interesting to open this and the sauvignon blanc to see the difference. My guess is it might be quite obvious side-by-side.

    ReplyDelete